Thursday, March 10, 2011

How I Met Your Mother: Be Barney's Wingman


Mondays on ETC is HIMYM day, two back-to-back episodes are aired, the first at 9PM is last week's episode, and the 9:30 PM slot goes to the match-aired (as how ETC termed it, which still sounds weird for me) episode.

Amongst the favorite characters is Barney, the bachelor-type guy who goes after random girls for unsolicited sex with no emotional attachment. We learn how he lures preys through his "pick up" lines which can be legen--wait for it--dary at some point, unrealistic when you sometimes think of it, and utterly gender-biased the most. It seems practical to note that creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas patterned their lives thru the other male leads - Ted and Marshall - who seem more romantic and relatable to the regular viewers. However, there's no denying that we do aspire to be Barney at one point. At one, single-dotted point in our lives, have we ever imagined ourselves hitting off with a total of 200 random partners? Well it may sound far-off, but that's really our Id talking. You know, Id, the one who takes on the darker, non-conformity side of ourselves.

Recently, Barney's been denying his possible attachment to a previous date and his friends are teasing him about it. Meanwhile viewers are still pounding on who could be the "mother" and we definitely think it's not Zoey, because we just heard that HIMYM is still up for another two seasons. When I watch HIMYM and I start to think that I'm Barney I'd probably skip the dating and proceed to the fun part, but the fun part isn't sex, but the chasing that you have to do. And I've been a wingman for some time, with my co-workers and friends, but have never been the actual guy. Maybe I can ask someone to be my wingman, for fun, but who's gonna agree anyways?

4 comments:

  1. I've never really tried to get into the show. I'm just amused by the fact that as much as the character Barney is such a sleazy womanizer, Neil Patrick Harris is a happy gay man with twins! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should try a few episodes perhaps, it's not like your usual sitcom where the storyline is compromised for comedic purposes, you will find the story amusing as well. As for Neil, he certainly can act his part given his sexual preferences in real life, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure he has the same skills in the queer arena.

    More importantly, nice to see you finally found time to post again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well NPH adds color to the show with his exorbitant testosterone exhibitions; he is like "Karen" in the much-adored Will and Grace.
    I hope I can keep this regular, it has been x number of months already since my previous post and I find writing regularly my personal diversion from the chaos of the "stiff" office routines
    And as always, thanks Rocky for inspiring me...

    ReplyDelete