Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The clock is ticking

Lately, I’ve been impatient waiting, on ATM terminals, ordering “fast food”, impatient being on hold waiting for a Globe rep to pick up, and yes, being stuck on the dreaded traffic. But what I can’t bring myself to understand is having to wait an hour for the doctor to come in. The schedule clearly states 9AM, the front desk guy confirmed it’s 9, and the Intellicare clinic guide says it’s from 9AM. I completely get that I have to wait for my turn, it’s always first come first serve basis, and I’m cool that I would have to wait because some patients would take a longer time because they have unusual procedures done like anal probe or psychological tests.

But when my doctor arrived at 10am, and started accepting patients 30 minutes after, I felt my wasted time was deduced to plotting evil schemes like making a scene or exploding outright. In 1 hour I can do a lot of meaningful things, like watching 3 episodes of How I met your mother on DVD. Or completing up to 2 washing machine cycles, or playing with my kid Soleil and letting her watch the entire [V] Countdown, or neatly folding 1 week worth of laundered clothes, or go over my daily social networking update (I limit only 1 hour to check my facebook, twitter, blogs, etc). In 1 hour my wife and I can have our very meaningful catch up chats, you know, she tells stuff about work and how much she “adores” her colleagues, and I tell her what’s going on at my work and how I’m this close (insert hand gesture) into writing a hate email.

Because I value time I respect other people’s value on time. I apologize to my class if I came in late from break to run some important errands. If I need them to stay beyond their shift, I let them know how much I appreciate them sticking around. After reading messages from people who texted or email me, I reply immediately when needed, there’s no reason that they would have to wait for a response. In cases when someone needs me and I’m unavailable, I inform him or her when I’m available. And when there’s an agreed time, like for a work-related meeting, or casual meet ups with friends, I make sure I come in on time. Anyways, about the evil plot or rage and terror, it didn’t happen. I realized the doctor can poke me in the eye and I won’t get my badly-needed med cert.

No comments:

Post a Comment